Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!


1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!


studentTeacher

Member Since 27 Feb 2013
Offline Last Active Apr 20 2015 04:20 PM

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP 5 -- Transparency Woes, Debugging and Refactoring

Posted studentTeacher on 20 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

Hey!

So I posted the mid-week update of my transparency work earlier this past week. The results looked nice, but shortly afterwards, I realized I had some memory issues and it became a mangled mess. What was happening was I had my INDEXARRAY pointing to the array of indices stored in a VertexBufferObject in the mesh. When I passed that same array to i...

Tales from the Engine's Core > Mid-Week Update: Transparency Woes (Pictures!)

Posted studentTeacher on 14 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

Well....been working on transparency, and here's some of the hilarious results I've had through the process:




Aaaaaannnndddd.....that last one shows static sorting -- one round of sorting on generation, and that's it. Looks not too bad! When I work with movement, I've gotten a lot of flickering issues (see the crazy 4th image!); just some bugs to...

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP: Week 4 -- Transparency

Posted studentTeacher on 11 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

So......

I've never done transparency before. I've dealt with it in extremes (either opaque or completely transparent) but never anything in between. Because of that, I definitely had my work cut out for me this week. I posted in the forums, as well as on a couple of other places, looking for advice in simplifications I could make to the normal process o...

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP: Week 3 -- Threading, Chunking, and Optimizations!

Posted studentTeacher on 04 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hello all!

This week, I begun work on the threading model for the engine. Since having a thread for each component (rendering, physics, main game loop, input, etc) wasn't feasible and left a lot to be desired for the engine, I changed it to a Fork/Join or Job model. This allows easy use of a thread pool, which is easy and intuitive to use. I created...

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP: Week 2 -- Meshing, Shapes, and Worlds!

Posted studentTeacher on 27 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

This past week has been quite productive for the engine! I updated my RenderingEngine to support rendering buckets, which is basically a set of efficient priority queues to sort meshes every frame. I also started working on frustum culling, to help cull meshes using their bounds from going through the rendering pipeline. Currently the supported bounds ar...

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP: Week 1 -- INI Files and Resources!

Posted studentTeacher on 20 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hello!

What I hope to accomplish are weekly updates about my engine build, and go over some of the things I've been working on lately. This first one will cover what I did today, but future ones will cover an entire weeks worth of work.

Since last time I created an event system to tie my engine together, I began this weekend working on beginning my reso...

PARTNERS