I'm not super experienced by any means, but I've found the best way to build a game is to just do it.
- Start with a simple idea, that mostly uses techniques you already know.
- Make a very short list of simple features for your game
- Put these features in a to-do list (I like to use http://www.abstractspoon.com/tdl_resources.html for doing this)
- Split these features into sub-features (each task should be doable in less than an hour with little help)
- Do one feature daily. (more or less)
Not all of the answers are in tutorials and books. Just doing something gives you knowledge and experience. As you continue to gain knowledge and experience, you will come to rely on tutorials and other people less and less.
If you run into a really hard spot, just ask the forum for help. But do try really really hard to figure it out yourself first.
Best of luck.