Ah Pink Horror, I think I know where our complexities arise. I said it was looking for SDL.lib, and then said I put a copy of the file where i was told to. It seems you thought I meant that I had copied SDL2.lib, when what I meant was SLD2.dll. My apologies, I should have been more clear.
Okay, so I tried setting things up again from scratch, same process. For some odd reason it seems to work fine. The first time I ran the simple program given in the tutorial it gave me a directex error. It ran in Avast Sandbox mode though which, though happy with it, terminated the application before I could get the error code. Every time I've run the program since it works without a hitch.
I think my problem is that I have two Program Files folders, "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". This seems like it was likely the root of the problem. Before I retried the tutorial I moved my libraries and includes from the later to the former. I think Visual Studio just didn't like the "(x86)" part of the folder name.
I was also getting a warning under my error list the second or third time I launched the tutorial application, but it's since vanished from subsequent executions. I think I'm good to go. Thanks anyway, Pink Horror! I'd hug you if I could.