This past hour of code, we went around to different schools trying to get students excited about coding. I figured the kids wouldn't quite understand why we program, or why it is a good profession to get into.
So, I said to the students, "If you had a magic button, what would it do? If it did whatever you wanted with the press of a button, what would your button do?"
- Some kids said that it would make food for them.
- Others said it would do their chores for them.
- Still others said it would create a lot of money for them.
- I suggested that they might want it to do their homework for them (that made them excited for sure).
- To the High School students I suggested some of the students would want to find the love of their life.
Then I told them that that computer in front of them has not just one button, but many buttons and that they can use those buttons to do these very things. If it be a robot that cooks, an app, or a dating website, these things can be created with a computer.
I could see that lightbulbs went off.
Now I am asking this question here for educational purposes.
If you had a magic button, what would it do?