I've read lots of articles about 2D games where they suggest a path for development.
There are many different opinions, but I think starting with Tetris is a great way to go. But I have been unable to find a comparable 3D game for starting.
So I ask you Gamedev, what do you think is the best clone/genre/style for your first complete 3D game, and why?
A 3d astroid clone.
- you dont need vertex/skeletal animation (just models)
- you can use a simple import format (obj)
- you need to render basics (simple particles, simple models,'sky')
- you dont need to render advanced topics like terrain,foilage,skeletal animation
- you need to code/use a simple physics and controls
- no ai needed
- and finally: lot of fun blasting up things (++)
I was going to suggest this.
My next suggestion after that would be a Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake clone. Seeing as those were the grand-daddies of 3D gaming.
All you need to start off with with thoses are: your player, a room, an enemy, and movement for player and enemy. Then you can add weapons, health, armor, [better] physics, items, doors, more rooms.
Something a bit more challenging would be a variation of Marble Madness. (?)