3. DONT start a team if you're new to Game Development. Join a active online team working on a project close or similar to the type of game you would like to develop. Collaborating online can be extremely frustrating, quarky, and confusing at times. Learn the DOs and DONT of communication within a online team. Gain thorough undersanding of the tools: Chat Apps, Version Control, Project Management, and other networked Applications.
1. DONT re-invent the wheel! Adopt an affordable and proven cross-platform technology that has the Engine, Tools, and Documentation for developing FPS games such as UDK.I tried to develop a FPS engine with C++ and I failed to complete it after 3 years of development. I hadn't even started on the game:( Using UDK-out-of-box, I have a working multiplayer demo of my F2P Action Survival Terror FPS within only 3 weeks develop time. Its FUN to develop when you see immediate results.
4. DONT be dependent on a third party to produce your content or logic for your game. Learn to model and Animate Characters, Architecture, etc; and Programming Concepts (C, C++, Java) for Logic and Networking. These are in the highest demand and practice makes perfect! I would encourage you to aim at being a Jack-of-all-trades. Building a Team is extremely difficult. The role of Game Producer/Director will task you with knowing a little something about every aspect of the game development process.
2. DONT forget the crucial importance of networking and web integration in online gaming. You simply cannot make any type of Online game without Networking. Networking is also valuable in Single Player gaming. So I highly encourage you to have some rudimentary understanding of the networking involved, even if your not a programmer. If you dont have a turn-key solution for online Administration, Transactions, etc, you're going to need them custom made.
0. DONT develop a cookie-cutter F2P FPS. Take a chance and dare to be different. Thats the advantage of being an Independent game developer. I have absolutely no idea on how well received a F2P FPS with Tornado Destruction, Storm Chasing, Survival Horror, Hordes of Monsters, and Sci-Fi Weapons will be, but, I do know that it will be different.