Buckeye, very useful post, it helped me understand better the transformations.
However my joints are not represented just as translations from the parent (sadly...). The joints are represented as a rotation + translation pair, which is one of the reason everything was so confusing.
I tried finding a way to eliminate the rotation and keep only translations, by trying to apply a inverted rotation to the animation dat, but I had no sucess, I'm doing something wrong.
Ashaman73, I actually need it because I want to automatize targeting more than 300 models (which all have skeletons with same hierarchy, but different joint positions), along with being able to do some other cool stuff at run time (eg: create characters procedurally by patching together different body parts).
And I don't think it is that much difficult if the skeletons have the exactly same hierarchy. For example the devs from Overgrowth did it, also jMonkey engine supports this and the code is open source, I've checked it, and it is not more than 300 lines of code (altough the code uses some naming conventions for matrices that completly confuse me).
Check this link for a example of what I want to do: