Here's the most likely scenario a develop will encounter that will damage their computer irreparably.
(1) Write a program with a tight infinite loop that taxes the GPU to the maximum of its ability.
(2) Leave the program running on a laptop and go an make a soothing, relaxing mug of chai latte.
(3) Sit down and relax, inhaling the intoxicating aroma from the mug in anticipation.
(4) Pull the laptop on your lap to check how far to completion of the infinite loop has gotten.
(5) Scream in pain and jump to your feet cursing uncontrollably as the heat from the processors sears your sensitive lap flesh with second degree burns.
(6) Spill your sugary sweet and deliciously spiced chai latte all over your laptop keyboard.
(7) Watch as the laptop shuts down, never to boot again.
Sure, it's a complex series of steps but it's about the only likely way you;re ever going to fry your computer as a game developer.