Jump to content

April 2017 »

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23 24 2526272829
30      

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

View more

Lyost's Journal

4: Adsense

Cleanup work

There were two main pieces of cleanup work that I wanted to take care of in my Direct3D12 framework. The first was to break apart the LoadContent functions of the various test programs. The second was to minimize object lifetimes. Previously all the various framework wrapper objects and their internal D3D12 resources would live for nearly the entire progr...

Stream Output Addendum

Shortly after I posted my previous dev journal entry, I got a direct message asking how I determined the number of vertices that the stream output buffer should be able to hold in the test program. I think that is a great question and while I replied discus sing it for the test program, I think it warrants another entry to discuss the minimum size of the...

Adding MSAA and stream output support

Since my last entry I've added support for more of Direct3D12's features to my framework, which are:
Cube and cube array textures. The implementation of these isn't notably different from the other texture types, so I don't plan to delve into these.
Mipmaps for all the texture types (including cube and cube array). I'll talk briefly about these in a momen...

Switching to committed resources

Just a minor update from my previous post. I've updated my D3D12 framework ( ) to use committed instead of placed resources, along with centralizing the texture creation code. The switch over was pretty straight forward since it was basically removing an additional resource heap and switching my calls from CreateResource on my heap wrapper class (which in...

Playing with Direct3D12

It's been quite some time since I last posted here, despite reading some of the forums regularly. For this post I've gotten my work-in-progress Direct3D12 framework project into a good enough state that I thought I'd share it out (a zip file of the source is attached). The purposes of this project are:
Play around with Direct3D12 to get hands on experien...

D3D11 Framework Update

While there is still plenty of work to do on my d3d11 framework, I thought I'd post an update on the current status. For what's currently in it:keyboard inputmouse inputvertex shaderspixel shadersviewportsblend and depth stencil statestexturing (just loading from a file for now, will be expanding functionality later)resizing/fullscreen toggling A short li...

Public header generation

In the course of expanding and fixing the D3D11 framework from my previous journal entry, I've found that there are types and functions that I want to have as public in the library but not exposed outside of it (internal scope in C#). Instead of purely using the pimpl idiom (for those unfamiliar with the term or how to apply it, these should help explain...

D3D11 Port of Particle System Rendering - with source

The D3D11 port of the rendering process for my particle system editor is complete (VC++ 2010 project and source under the MIT license can be found at the end of this entry, also you will need to edit the include and additional dependancy paths to build). The hardest part of the project has been finding time for it since my job has been demanding evenings...

Particle System Editor - Edit: Now with source

Reason for the Project


In the tank game, the particle system was probably one of the weaker parts of the game on the technical side. In addition, it was a tedious process to adjust it: run the game, get to a point where the particle system will be used, kick it off, exit, tweak it, and repeat. Which is why my project after that was this...

XNA Game Complete

Summary


The primary goals of my tank game project were: to learn about the XNA framework, and create a feature complete game. I feel that I have accomplished both. Though I used the term "feature complete game" instead of "complete game" because all the code is there and working for the game, but content is lacking. ...