Sprite Packing in Python…
The way that you get sprite data into cocos2d is by including as a resource a sprite sheet image and a .plist file which is XML that specifies which sprite is where. Plists are apparently an old Mac thing — I had never heard of this format. .plists describing a lot of sprites would be a chore to write by hand so there is a cottage industry of sprite packing applications.
I tried out one called TexturePacker and liked it a lot — except that it is crippleware; I need a few features that are only in the full version; plus I can’t stand crippleware; and I think $30 is too much for something that I can write myself over the weekend. So I decided to write my own sprite packer over the weekend.
The result is pypacker, a python script: source code here. Usage is like
pypacker -i <input> -o <output> -m <mode> -p
- <input> = a path to a directory containing image files. (In any format supported by the python PIL module.)
- <output> = a path + filename prefix for the two output files e.g. given C:\foo\bar the script will generate C:\foo\bar.png and c:\foo\bar.plist
- <mode> = the packing mode. Can be either “grow” or fixed dimensions such as “256×256″. “grow” tells the algorithm to begin packing rectangles from a blank slate expanding the packing as necessary. “256×256″ et. al. tell the algorithm to start with the given image size and pack sprites into it by subdivision, throwing an error if they all won’t fit.
- -p = optional flag indicating you want the output image file dimensions padded to the nearest power-of-two-sized square.
The core of the algorithm is a function that looks like this:
def pack_images( named_images, grow_mode, max_dim): root=() while named_images: named_image = named_images.pop() if not root: if (grow_mode): root = rect_node((), rectangle(0, 0, named_image.img.size, named_image.img.size)) else: root = rect_node((), rectangle(0, 0, max_dim, max_dim)) root.split_node(named_image) continue leaf = find_empty_leaf(root, named_image.img) if (leaf): leaf.split_node(named_image) else: if (grow_mode): root.grow_node(named_image) else: raise Exception("Can't pack images into a %d by %d rectangle." % max_dim) return rootWe iterate through the images we want to pack. For each image, try to find a rectangular node in the tree that can contain the image. If one exists, place the image in the node and subdivide the node such that the remaining space, not taken up by the image, is available in the tree (this is what ‘split_node’ does). If such a node cannot be found, throw an exception if we are not in ‘grow’ mode or expand the root rectangle node to accommodate the new image if we are in ‘grow’ mode.
Since actual data is always burnt into the upper left, it means that the tree can never subdivide into this space; we can never recurse into the upper left. This results in the grow_node routine being awkward to write. When we grow the root we either want to extend to the right or extend down, if the upper left can be a node and not image data this is a simple matter of creating a new node and making the the existing root its upper or left child. Anyway, Jake Gordon’s implementation results in a packing tree that cannot both grow right and grow down simultaneously because it would have been complicated to implement this. This limitation is not a problem practically as long as you sort the images from largest to smallest before running the packing algorithm — a standard heuristic from the bin packing literature.
Further now only leafs can contain images and if a node is not a leaf it always has two valid, that is non-null, children. Using this type of tree structure makes the full grow_node routine more or less trivial.
Beyond that, I’m using the following heuristics:
- if the orientation (horizontally or vertically) of a split is not forced, split with the orientation that will result in the new empty node having the largest area
- If the orientation of growing the root rect is not forced, grow in the direction that leads to the smallest increase in the maximum side length of the root rectangle. (This heuristic enforces squarishness and is extremely important. Without doing this the grow version of the algorithm is basically unusable, and in this sense this grow heuristic can be considered part of the algorithm rather than a heuristic that can be swapped out)
EDIT: Actually the version I posted isn’t the one that can handle expanding right and down simultaneously. (Although it doesn’t effect results because sorting by size is hardcoded into the script). Will post the newer version soon…