Jump to content

May 2017 »

28 29 3031   
- - - - -

What's in a name?

4: Adsense

We have finally completed the work needed to correct the naming/branding issue I mentioned in my last post. It took a lot more time and effort than I had originally hoped, but in the end I'm extremely happy with the change. I previously mentioned that we had selected a new name, and I thought we had, but after thinking about it over a longer period of time I wasn't completely satisfied. This put us into brainstorming mode, and after roughly 50 cumulative hours between a few people strictly going over name ideas, we found something that I was extremely happy with.

Posted Image

So why that name? and how did we come up with it?

Initially we started looking at words used throughout the game lore, and then looking at combinations of words, and we came up with a list of a few hundred ideas. Nothing really stood out as something that we wanted to use, so I decided to go back to the drawing board and try to put something together like we did with Creoterra using latin or ancient greek.

Eventually I managed to put together Empyrios, which I found by sheer coincidence is an actual latin word, a plural meaning fiery, burning, etc. I took "Empyr", basically a license plate type spelling of "Empire", and added the name of the Aduro god of fire "Pyrios", which in latin translates to a singular case of fiery/burning. So the meaning I took out of it was something along the lines of "empire burning", which fit the lore absolutely perfectly.

I also wanted to add the subtitle "Prophecy of Flame" to give it a bit more meaning, and again tying in with both the name Empyrios as well as the lore and campaign story.

Once that was settled and we had the basic idea drafted we spent another 20-30 hours on creating the logo and branding. This consisted of rebuilding the font and texturing (similar to our original), deciding on how to style the subtitle, and then cleaning up the actual logo image above the title. Of course once that was done there happened to be a million places that it needed updating, on www.creoterra.com, our blog posts, screenshots, my original post here at GDNet, etc.

The overall cost of this mistake was roughly 80 person hours. Obviously I'm not exactly thrilled about burning that amount of time, but it was something that needed to be done, and in the end we have a non-generic name that ties much more into the actual game story and lore itself than our previous idea. I can't say that I'm happy with the process, but I'm extremely happy with the end result.

If you haven't yet, check us out: Empyrios Announced!

Creoterra | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Jul 13 2014 01:45 PM

Having a unique name will be worth the time put in. If your game is easier to find than the barrier to entry is lower and allows more people to purchase it. :)

Note: GameDev.net moderates comments.