Anyway, it's somewhat finished, and I don't plan to spend any more time on it for the next 2 weeks. The only thing I know I will have to do is to break the AI into some personalities: at least 2 are mandatory ("hard/intelligent AI" and "easy/dumb AI"), but I plan to add a few more to make the AI gameplay less predictable/boring (thanks for the suggestion Ben!). And of course, on the final testing/balancing days I might do some tweaks on the AI.
But for now I can consider the AI task finished, and now it's time for a checkpoint. On September 10th I started this Dev Journal listing 5 major programming tasks needed before release. Here is the updated list, and also below it some new tasks (not necessarily programming):
2) Balancing of the game (adjusting the price and scores of movie tapes, adjust the ad tapes parameters, a little tweak on news tapes, and a big overhaul on the audience formula, and some tweak on the antennas)
5) Create help panels for each of the rooms
Well, to be honest the #3 and #4 still need some tweak, but mostly on the data customization (and not programming itself). The #5 task has the programming mostly done, but Im still not sure how I will craft the help, that's why I didnt focus on it yet. And #2 I need to do it urgently, I plan to start it today or tomorrow. So, the other tasks:
6) Adapt the game to the art being made by the artist (most screens won't change, but some will, for example the main menu will change a lot)
7) Separate the game graphics into HD and non-HD, to make the game playable in low spec devices (most low spec devices I try fail to open the game)
8) Create the IAP part (not sure if this will make into the initial release)
9) Setup the ads (interstitial, shows when day finishes and the avatar leaves the building for the next day)
10) Update/rework the Save and Load mechanism
11) Play testing (closed beta, or external balancing)
12) Marketing stuff (setup entry on Google Play, create screenshots, create video)
I will probably do the #7 (HD / non-HD) now, then go for #2 (internal balancing). All except #8 (IAP) are mandatory for the release. Task #11 (external balancing) depends on #2 (internal balancing) and #6 (new art) being finished. These new tasks are relatively simpler when compared to the initial 5 tasks, so Im still confident on the planned release date (well, as long as the artist deliver all the images on time!), which is October 11th.
For those reading this dev journal for the first time: BBTV (Big Boss TV) is a TV manager "Tycoon" game where the player runs a TV station against 2 other computer-controlled players. Here is a link to its Indie page: https://www.gamedev.net/page/indie/project.html/_/simulation/big-boss-tv-r11