HTML5 and game development - my bookmarks
This post is a collection of links to posts and statistics about Web/HTML5 as a gaming platform.
I have been using web technologies for a couple of years as a platform to experiment with programming. I also have an interest in game development, which made it natural for me to begin developing games in HTML5. When I started I was pretty enthusiastic, but these days I grow more skeptical.
From a historical perspective, HTML5 had a bit of a breakthrough in 2012. If you look a the [dates] you can see this reflected in the enthusistic headers. The more recent headlines are more skeptical.
- [Present] A community with developers who are working with HTML5 games. http://www.html5gamedevs.com/
- [Present] A collection of games made with HTML5 technology. http://html5games.com/
- [Present] A list of various engines/libraries that can be used in HTML5 game development. http://html5gameengine.com/
Google search results
These search results could be seen as a reflection on how many tutorials you will find, as well as how easy it will be to find help if you get stuck.
"iphone game development" 165 000 000 "android game development" 136 000 000 "windows game development" 119 000 000 "pc game development" 87 300 000 "mac game development" 63 900 000 "unity game development" 15 100 000 "html5 game development" 9 670 000 "gamemaker studio" 292 000 "createjs game development" 22 600 "kineticjs game development" 11 900
Articles about present/future of HTML5 in gaming (and general)
-  Writeup about what it's like developing games in HTML5 in 2013. http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MattHackett/20131220/207576/What_it_was_like_making_HTML5_games_in_2013.php
-  Some developers air opinions about the future of HTML5 as a games platform. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-23-future-proof-html5-native-client-and-the-battle-for-the-browser
-  A sceptical article about html5. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-11-html5-too-good-to-be-true
-  Intel, the processing company, wheighs the pros and cons about the use of HTML5 in games: http://software.intel.com/sites/billboard/article/future-html5
-  Web-app post about Zuckerberg's disliking of HTML5. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57511142-93/html5-is-dead-long-live-html5/
-  Facebook notification about their use of HTML5. https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=438532093919
Forum discussions - Slashdot
I like slashdot because it's populated with mix of performance geeks and pragmatic people.
-  Wolfenstein browser version. http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/05/10/222247/wolfenstein-3-d-celebrates-20-years-with-free-browser-based-version
-  Failed HTML5 game project goes open source http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/06/22/186249/the-death-of-an-html5-game-breeds-an-open-source-project
-  HTML5 games removes requirement of installation. http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/09/22/085251/game-devs-predict-death-of-flash-installed-games
-  Google Play/Chrome for HTML5 games. http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/08/28/192257/google-is-grooming-chrome-as-a-game-platform
-  Future discussion. http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/03/08/199212/browsers-the-gaming-platform-of-the-future
-  Facebook and HTML5 games. http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/02/19/2140253/facebook-develops-html5-gaming-benchmark
-  Quake II in Browser. http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/04/02/1812220/google-gets-quake-ii-running-in-html5
Stackoverflow posts about html5 games
I have skipped simple questions and only gathered questions of performance and structure. My titles are not the same as the posters.
-  About running a HTML5 game as a native app. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19075208/html5-game-to-native-app
-  How do I make a multiplayer HTML5 game? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17950739/html5-multiplayer-browser-game
-  How do I prevent players from cheating? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3387057/html-5-games-can-i-secure-the-code-somehow-so-the-game-itself-wont-be-changed
-  How do I protect the source-code from being stolen? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9612607/protecting-the-sources-of-html5-game
-  Rendering game elements on canvas. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10961795/html5-canvas-and-game-programming
-  Second thoughts about HTML5 due to performance. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12513685/performance-issues-with-html5-mobile-game
-  Is it possible to develop iOS games using HTML5? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7375075/html5-for-ios-game-development
-  How do I make a game that runs on all browsers? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4859716/how-can-i-use-html5-in-all-browsers-including-ie7-8
-  How important is canvas? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6846622/html5-game-without-canvas