Jump to content

April 2017 »

23 242526272829

View more

The Bag of Holding

4: Adsense

Self-hosting: major milestone on the path has been reached!

I exulted over this rather vocally on Twitter, but in case you don't follow me (@ApochPiQ), I'll repeat it here:

At 12:15AM this morning, Epoch's compiler successfully generated itself, when provided with a decorated AST from the C++ compiler front-end.

What this means is that I have a fully working layer that translates the decorated Epoch AST into ma...

Epoch Self-Hosting Progress

I've been working off and on for a few months now on creating a self-hosting compiler for the Epoch programming language .

In brief, this means that the language itself is robust enough to implement a complete compiler, which in turn is an implementation of the Epoch language. (Presently, Epoch is implemented by a compiler written in C++.)

Progress is s...

ArenaNet Internships

Wanting to break into the game industry but lacking vital work experience? Come check out ArenaNet's 2013 internship program .

Paid internship program
Do real jobs that are vital to company success, not busy-work
On-site in Bellevue, WA
One year duration

Hit the link to find out more.

Full speed ahead!

My big project at the moment involves rewriting the Epoch language  compiler for what feels like the millionth time.The good news is, instead of yet another C++ incarnation of the compiler, this time around I'm moving towards a self-hosted model, where the compiler for Epoch is itself an Epoch program.As I've detailed elsewhere, I decided to take a somewh...

More self-hosting goodness

Bytecode generation is done... more or less. I have a feeling there's a few instructions that are still missing but the compiler test suite passes so obviously there's plenty of stuff that does  work...Instead of spamming my journal here with noise about this every couple of days, I'm going to keep a running thought log over on the Epoch wiki .Code genera...

Self-Hosting Progress

As I've discussed previously, my goal for Epoch Release 15 is to get the compiler self-hosting. In a nutshell, that means that an Epoch program will be used to compile all other Epoch programs, including itself.To do this, I'm working backwards from the compiler back-end first to the lexer/parser last. This allows me to retain all of the language's featur...

Epoch Release 14 Shipped

Go obtain the goodness.

Epoch Plans for the Future

Release 14 of the Epoch programming language  is now live!That brings us to the pertinent and slightly bothersome question: what will be worked on for Release 15?There are a number of features I'm interested in improving and/or implementing, ranging from object lifetime semantics to parallelism functionality. Strictly speaking, any and all of these featur...

Release 14 imminent...

So I've been looking over my past notes and decided that I'm pretty happy with the state of affairs over in Epoch land. The garbage collector is running, tuned for reasonable performance, and successfully keeps the native-code realtime raytracer clamped at a decently small degree of RAM usage.The only thing that really bugs me is that the GC has imposed a...

Victory is mine!

It was an epic fight, but I finally managed to subdue the last few LLVM garbage collection bugs and get a full test suite pass.I'm kind of tired (it's 5:30AM and I've been running all night) so I'll try to reword that a little more clearly:Epoch is, as of right now, passing all compilation and runtime tests (all 62 of them) with full, aggressive, and accu...