New Project - Star Blaster (working title)
- Keyboard layout image created and placed below WebPlayer (a bit ugly, but it'll do for now).
- Thruster fitting logic and placeholder particle effect added (thruster drains linearly over time and recharges non-linearly).
- Changed the engine particle effect (figuring out the best general settings to base future engine effects on and enabled multiple particle systems per effect).
- Changed the skybox (now one of the Spacescape presets). It's amazing how much better it looks just with this. I'll play with Spacescape some more later - seems like a pretty nice tool.
- Changed the thruster effect to be the base engine effect (scaling particle velocity with current ship acceleration force). Added rather rubbish looking smoky effect as a thruster effect.
- Experimented with engine trails, but they don't work very well. Mainly because the thruster / engine effects are done in local space, rather than world space, so they stick out in a different direction. Changing the engine effects to worldspace just doesn't look very good, so I'm leaving engine trails out for now.
- Wing-tip vortex trails, however, look quite shiny, so they stay in.
- Fixed bugs in thruster logic (ship can now go backwards, thruster turns off properly when out of energy).
- Ship is now twice the size it was, and goes much faster and accelerates quicker (adjusted particle effects to match).
- Added a couple of numeric readouts to the HUD (the top one is ship speed (velocity magnitude) and the bottom one thruster energy remaining)).
- Toolitps now work (kinda fiddly working out the offset / text alignment so that they show on screen no matter where the item being hovered over is located, but it's done now).
- "Parking brake" turns off mouse input and decelerates to a stop (enter key). Turned off by using one of the normal movement keys.
- Parking brake added to keyboard map and player starts parked (currently called "All Stop" - might need a better name later).
- GUISkin created for HUD (no visible difference, but will be useful later).
- Simple muzzle flash exists as place-holder, triggered when firing.
- First attempt at turrets is in. Turrets have a base, stem (yaws left / right) and barrel (pitches up / down) and aim at where the mouse is. Still needs some tweaking.
- Eliminated barrel jittering (up vector now properly recalculated).
- Added tracking speed to turrets (probably leave this high enough to be nearly instant for most turrets, but lower for torpedo type things).
To Do Soonish
- Proper weapon slots / groupings.