It has been a while since my last post but I have been keeping busy. Here are some of the things I have completed (sort of):
- The journal – Journal entries can be added from script. As an example, the player is engaged in a conversation and accepts a task/mission… then a summary of what was said is written. Journal entries can also have an image associated with them such as a scribble/drawing for a puzzle. The journal font have also been customized to have a more handwriting feel to it.
- NPC pathfinding – A system for determining when pathfinding is needed has been implemented. A homing capability is sufficient most of the time but when the NPC get stuck or is far away from its waypoint a pathfinding search is done.
- NPC inventory – Until now the inventory for NPC have been added from script, this can become rather tedious after a while. The system is still in place but some enemies will have hard-coded inventory items. Skeletons will for example always have a weapon equipped. If there were many skeletons in one area I had to script each skeleton’s equipment manually, no matter if they had exactly the same things on them.
- Store – I have been working on a store system. The player can drag individual items between the store and their inventory to buy or sell items. It is also possible to mark several items and only buy/sell those in one click. I have not yet settled on an “economy system”… that is how items will increase or decrease in value when buying/selling.
- Collision detection – I have been fiddling around, trying to find the best shape for the player collision shape. Right now I am using a compound shape consisting of a sphere and a capsule. It seems to play nice so far. I have to be careful and not build maps so the player can get stuck.
- Particle system – NPC can now spawn different or no particles when hit. For example a rat would spawn blood when hit by a sword but not when only hit by fists. A skeleton would spawn small bone/splinters instead of blood.
There is more to tell but I have run out of time. The next post will hopefully have some nice images and/or a video showing some of these things. I am aiming for a small demo in the near future.
Thanks for reading!