Quick update - Alpha inbound soon!
This week was a lot of under the hood improvements. The voxel engine got a TON of performance optimizations, which allow my Nvidia GTX 260 to render my test scene at 100-200 FPS.
- Rough-draft tutorial level with instructions and whatnot.
- Fullscreen toggling on-the-fly by hitting F11
- Rudimentary fog effect
- Voxels are now rendered as surfaces, rather than complete cubes. This lets me cull a lot of unnecessary geometry.
- Voxels are now split into chunks. This lets me easily implement frustum culling and view distance, which helps tremendously with shadow map rendering as well.
- I fixed some bugs in the voxel modification code, making voxel modifications of up to 100-150 cells practically instantaneous.
- Shadow maps and reflections are now rendered every other frame. It's a hack, but the important thing is that the gameplay is responsive.
Just a quick update this time. Expect a playable alpha soon! Very soon!
Mirrored on my blog