I haven't posted in awhile, so here's some art I've been working on
pixel art tile rpg
I've set up mercurial and use that for Of Stranger Flames. I should've learned some kind of source versioning system years ago, but the list of things I 'should learn' is rather large.
Mercurial was surprisingly easy to get up and running, so I'm glad. I've installed TortoiseHg but I end up doing everything by the command-line anyway, so next time I won't bother installing the GUI.
I've been making very slow progress, chipping away at things here and there. Yesterday, for a small programming break, I made some windows with curtains:
I tried to design the window so that it'd work with multiple different wall-types, though I'm not too pleased with the result. I don't particularly like the way the glass panes, the framework between the frames, or the window sill came out. Which is pretty much everything except the curtain rod.
I like the curtains much better though! And since the curtains block most the window, and I don't outright hate the window, I'm not too concerned with getting it perfect. The main thing that irks me about 2D windows, is what do you show through it? Grass? Streets? My usual 'sky blue' panes don't make much sense, since the player is looking down at the window at an angle.
I guess I could make the panes semi-transparent and place ground tiles beneath it, depending on what the window actually looks out at. This is something I'll tweak once I get the much-talked-about-but-not-finished map editor working and am able to walk around in-game.
Here's the window covered with curtains:
Not to compliment my own work or anything (), but I particularly like how the line shines through the curtain.
This first parted curtain is rather unnatural - the strait lines and how the curtain comes to a point (instead of a clump) at the bottom.
My later versions improved:
The only thing really lacking in these curtains (aside from the gold tiebacks on the blue curtains that I accidentally miscolored) is that the curtain doesn't bunch together in folds of frabric, but I'm not particularly worried about that.
This was about two hours work.
I wish I had something more substantial to show, programming-wise, but on-average 90% of my programming work is non-visible. Lately (past four or five months), 110% of my programming work has non-visible and seemingly insignificant. Oh well, progress is being made, even if slowly!