Chicken Chase - Mock-up
I mentioned last time that I'm planning to throw together something in the way of an iPhone game that I figure I'll call Chicken Chase. Yesterday I went through some sample game code that came with the AirPlay SDK and it got me feeling pretty optimistic. The sample code itself was streight forward to follow and seemed well structure. Far more well structured than anything that I've ever done. Just the same, I think I should be able to figure out from the sample what's needed to get some sprites onto the screen and move them around a bit. I have no idea if the end result will be at all fun or interesting to anyone but the point is more about introducing myself to a new SDK.
I've wanted to do a project like this for awhile but one of the things that I've been using as an excuse to procrastinate is graphics. But some stuff seemed to come together a bit over the past few weeks. Out of boredom a couple weeks ago I threw together a quick drawing of a person using circles which I thought actually didn't look too bad. Then a little while ago I remembered I have these chicken sprites and I could imagine the person carrying around a chicken. For some time (since the Seeing Double contest), I've been wanting to do something that has these chickens sort of camouflaged by grass and it occurred to me that I don't really need much more than what I got at this point. Maybe a pen or something to put the chickens in once you catch them, but that's about it. There would probably need to be more to it to be engaging to anyone other than a kid (even for a kid, it might not be enough) but why not start with what I have so far and just get something together.
And so, assuming I can figure out how to attach images, below should be a couple of mock-ups using the tiles and sprites that I'll be working with. If things go as smoothly as I hope (and I don't get lazy) I hope to have an iPhone compatible program that resembles the mock-ups by the end of February.