Jump to content

April 2017 »

23 242526272829

View more

Crawling with ideas

4: Adsense

7 games in 7 days, day 5 finished

7 games in 7 days, day 5 finished Woah. After sleeping only for 3 hours yesterday, having been to dentist and visiting my landlady, I was facing a pretty big wall, and nearly dropped the challenge. However, I did pull through. After I've decided to use Commodore 64 style graphics for my project, I could feel the excitement, and was really enjoying myself. Using the 16 colour VIC-II palett...

Solder of fortune ( yeah, sorry, that was a horrible pun ) megapost

Woah. Today was another long day at the Hackerspace. It's 2:30 AM and I'm finally finished for the day and heading to bed. Just to write this post and it's finally sleepy time. This entry will be quite picture heavy, so those of you who are on 33.6kbps modems may want to take that into account ;). Seeing as it was a long day, the entry will...

Dithered rendering

Today I continued venture in high resolution bitmap mode of C64's VIC-II. As I mentioned yesterday, I started adding colors. First attempt looked butchered, but that was obvious for me when I started working on it. I used iteration depth as color for pixels in the 8x8 char area, and it gave me these blocky...

VIC-II high resolution bit mapping mode

Today I stopped playing with the text mode and entered bit mapping mode ( or, for modern people - bitmap mode ).

VIC-II, C64's graphics chip allows for resolutions of up to 320x200. In text mode that display is divided into 40x25 ( 1000 continuous characters ), each of which is 8x8 pixels big. As I mentioned previously, the characters are stored as 8...

C64 BASIC kinks

Next day of studying the VIC-II architecture and using BASIC to play around with it.

First, I managed to solve yesterday's problems - since the booklet I was reading from is, like I said, crappy quality, I tried peeking 53240 instead of 53248 ( 0xd000 ) for character ROM. Once I translated the values into hex, the mistake was easy to spot. Since each...

Resuming development

I have finally returned to developing my C64 skills. I've set up a computer dedicated to that purpose, and now am able to play around with it. Currently following C64 programmer's reference guide 3 - programming graphics. I'm at the beginning, which is setting up charset. Unfortunately, the booklet with which I'm working is so old, I can...

Fun with C64

Finally, I have some time to work on my own projects!

I've joined local hackerspace, and with a friend we decided to revitalize couple old C64s (after some deliberation on platform - it was either that or ZX Speccy). At first we want to add some simple functionality like SD card reader, but eventually we want to have a portable C64. I recalled that...