Originally I was running Windows 7 as I chose to skip version 8 for obvious reasons. I've been using Mac OS as my primary system for many years now, but as we're focused on our Windows build I've swapped over and decided to install Windows 10. After using it for about a week I can honestly say that I feel it is the best operating system out right now, and definitely the best Microsoft has put out... but at the same time their activation DRM burned a countless amount of hours.
The initial upgrade from 7 to 10 didn't go very well... ethernet no longer worked, power management and sleep functionality was destroyed, and slight glitches here and there. So I made sure that the system was activated properly (as per the MS site), and blew away the drive and performed a clean install. Wow the difference was night and day... zero driver problems, zero glitches, and everything just runs absolutely smooth... a massive upgrade from Windows 7.
But... unfortunately the system wouldn't activate... even though it was supposed to work automagically.
I tried everything from forcing activations, running slmgr /ato in a loop for awhile, rearming the key, using slui 4 and going through phone activation and talking to someone. Absolutely nothing would activate the system.
I then blew away a second drive and reinstalled Windows 7 to dual boot... fully updated... and installed Windows 10. It activated! Bravo! Of course it was just as broken as the first time I upgraded, but I figured at least now I could boot into my clean install and it should just work.
So I break out good old slui 4 again, fail the phone activation, and talk to someone regarding the activation status. Unfortunately there was nothing he could do so he forwarded me to another department, and I figured I was screwed.
After waiting about 15 minutes an awesome employee came on the line and she went through everything with me, and eventually ended up remoting into the system, changing the product key, and activating the system. So the machine is now finally working properly! She was also really nice to talk to, and I am extremely happy about the customer service from MS when something gets escalated to that department.
Of course I'm not happy that I'll have to go through this exact same process again on the other system... although I actually hope I get the ability to do so as the other times phoning I was never forwarded to the other department like today.
So I guess the rule of the day... Microsoft get your crap DRM working before putting it out there and saying the system is working. I nearly broke down and paid $199 on the Windows Store for my "free" Windows 10 upgrade because it was costing me too much time.
Funny note: ironically these are MSDN keys that they know are valid, and when they ask me for the Win 7 key I have to log into their site to read them off the number