Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    5
  • comments
    2
  • views
    5326

About this blog

A Journey of a Game Developer

Entries in this blog

 

Entry 5 of WepWep

About today:
Now comes the more fun parts! I have actually starting to work with the in-game things like the player ship and bullets. Since the last update I've added bullets along with coins the player is going to pick up to buy upgrades for their ship. Did I mention the ship actually follows the mouse now as well? Because it does... just not very well. It turns out my rusty math skills are causing a little trouble in the game. I so far have not been able to get the ship to behave how i want. It is now somewhere between the edge following the mouse (0, 0 of the image) and the nose of the ship following the mouse. I'm sure I'll have that fixed soon though!

Thoughts for the day:
Always remember to be very careful if you are removing items from a vector that you are iterating through. If you don't do it correctly it can lead to all kinds of strange issues. I've found it is best to avoid this if at all possible.

Today's screenshot:

Alurik

Alurik

 

Day 4 of WepWep

About today:
Well I finally got the menu done. It didn't turn out quite like I wanted. The items have to be used with the keyboard for the time being by using the up and down button. This will need to change in the future. Making the menu work with the mouse is going to require a little more research. Right now the mouse position is being passed with each update so my menu doesn't need to actually know about the mouse object. Later I'd like to replace the mouse cursor with a spaceship since this is how it is going to be controlled in the game. Some sort of "warping" space background would look really nice too but I don't want to worry too much about it since that is not in this iteration.

Thought for the day:
The game should flow with the same controls all along. I realized only after it was done that it really doesn't make sense to for the keyboard to be used on the menu when I intend for the mouse to be used in the game. This can only lead to annoying the user.

Today's screenshot: The white is starting to get to me.

Alurik

Alurik

 

Day 3 of WepWep

About today:
Today I finished the basic version of the title screen. It is nothing impressive but it isn't meant to be. I'm going to be developing the game in "layers". This first version was a large step though. It involved getting the text system working, fiddling with positioning and such also. The screen now changes if you press any button. One of the major things I struggled on is how to tell the main game that I wanted to switch screens (for example from title to menu screen). I ended up deciding to include an short value based off an enum on the base "game mode" class rather than some other options I was thinking of. This means that my "game modes" doesn't really need to know the main game exists. The game checks this status each update to see if it isn't 0 and then switches from there. Menu screen next!

Thought for the day:
While my font and assets are not the most impressive I'm trying to use free sources with the authors permission or public domain assets. I'll include a list of where I got all of my assets from later. I've been able to find quite a few good places but for now I'll just mention open game art.

Today's screenshot: Well at least it has words now right?

Alurik

Alurik

 

Getting started

I'm creating this journal for several reasons. I have wanted to make this for some time but kept finding excuses not to. Here are my main reasons.

1. Personal accountability/fight procrastination.
2. For reference of anyone else getting into game development
3. To help me reflect on my experiences and to help make better sense of them.

There are of course a few other reasons but those aren't important. I hope that it either helps me or helps someone who reads this.

I don't like getting personal about things so all anyone needs to know about me here for now is that I'm in my late 20s, have a B.S. degree in computer science and my day job is an .net web developer that makes apps at a bank.

Alurik

Alurik

 

Day 2 of WepWep

Project WepWep
This project will be my first game that hasn't come almost completely out of a book. Actually that isn't true I created a pong game once but I hardly think that counts. The goal of of this game is not to make an impressive game it is just to practice finishing a game. I have started many games only to get half way through and not finishing it.

Technology that will be used
Language: C++
Dev env: VS2013
Libraries: SFML
Source control: BitBucket

About today
Today has been a productive day. I haven't got a whole lot done yet, mostly building up things in the background. I set up a system to have 'screens'. Although they are more of current states, I wanted to find a way to compartmentalize them. The main task I'm working on today is the title screen. For this first version a lot of placeholders will be used. Right now I'm just looking for for a white screen, with a text placeholder and a click event to flow to the menu screen. As seen below I got part of the way there. No click event or text yet but I have changed the color of the screen for white. I've always felt that it was most important just to see some progress.

Today's screenshot: That a very nice screen you have there.

Alurik

Alurik

Sign in to follow this  
  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!