Thanks to slicer4ever for putting this game jam together. Thanks to all the sponsors, judges, competitors, and everyone, this is a nice experience.
What went Right?
Having a working engine and editors saved a great deal of time and enables me to spend more time on mechanics.
My engine was intended for platformers, so the platforming mechanics and physics were already tweaked. It would take me a few weeks just to get those jumps right.
UI and other support systems were also done, and it took less effort to re-skin the menu and adjust the buttons.
It also have a replay recording and uploading feature, so I can see how my friends played, what mechanic they fail to understood, and all those unintended routes which gave insight to future designs.
It was also proven to be working on other people's computers, and I think this is really important.
I was able to came up with a idea that was good enough within the first four hours of the competition. By sticking to to it I was able to spend all my time on real work instead of concepts. I was told the concept was quite fun, and I enjoyed messing around within my levels too.
I really enjoyed drawing stuffed toys. Cute furry animals with their heads falling off <3. I just loved this theme.
Maybe this is a prequel to last year's entry, "Granny vs Zombie Dinosaurs".
Why make a happy ending while you can do otherwise?
What went Wrong?
Using a familiar and established engine was technically boring. I didn't get to do anything cool because it was already done by me. I still wouldn't consider starting from scrap or using a pure graphic engine for a 7 day game jam, but maybe I'll try Unity for the next time, haven't got any reason to use it before, and it might give me some insight.
Not exactly unanticipated, but I don't get to do much work on the last two days. My cousin was having her wedding during the weekend. Although I was able to remain sober (In fact I drank less then any other family reunions), wearing a tie in these hot, humid tropical summer (Autumn, winter and spring starts at January and ends at February there) just takes away any willingness to boot up my brain.
Although I would like to have more levels, at least the game structure was completed.
What I learned?
1. WoA II was my first game jam ever. Putting a idea together in short time was a great experience. I think I should join more events like this if I have a chance, Although I might try joining as an artist and enjoy watching the programmer suffer. Changing hats would be fun and also want to try this in a team environment.
2. My original project and engine was intended to be mod-able from the beginning, by using it in this project show me a lot of parts that are too rigid and some are working great. Done some refactoring after merging the branch back.
- the other level I planned was to have some platforms move while they are activated. You'll need to use different colors to synchronize their position. Some will also be moving very,very fast and could toss you around.
- The original project, "Mikobuster", could be found here
Thanks to every one who is participating, and congratulations to who have completed.
Thank you for reading my journal and thank you for playing my game.