Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    3
  • comments
    9
  • views
    1963

Entries in this blog

 

Fixed Issue and Started New Tool

I fixed the vertex buffer issue. It kinda helps if you calculate the offset correctly. :)

I started work on a new tool. The tool is called Actor Workbench. It's going to be a tool that converts file formats to Jet3D's actor format (ACT). So far it just supports Jet3D native formats. I plan to provide a plugin architecture that will allow the community to write their own loaders for other file formats.

We are planning a release (v2.5.1) for February 14th. Stay tuned.

I will end this entry with 2 screenshots of our tools.

Actor Workbench:



JDesigner:


paradoxnj

paradoxnj

 

DIrectX 9 Woes...

I got a DirectX 9 Driver up and running, but I am having an issue rendering with a vertex buffer. I wrote a caching system that uses 1 dynamic vertex buffer and keeps track of each brush using a vector of a struct that contains the following information:

1. Starting vertex in the VB
2. Number of primitives
3. Number of texture layers
4. The texture array
5. Rendering flags (Alpha blending, Z buffer stuff, ...)

Before DrawPrimitive() is called, I sort the brushes by texture. The Flush() function only changes texture if the texture id is different from the previous one. I am using triangle fans to render as the engine is optimized for that right now.

The original way I did it worked, but was unoptimal. I originally just filled the vertex buffer with the one brush then called DrawPrimitive(). When I switched to the new way, I get a "polygon soup". In otherwords, the level looks exploded. If I figure it out, version 1 of my driver is done. Next step would be to get the world into 1 static vertex buffer.

Old Way (one brush then flush vertex buffer):



New way (fill dynamic vertex buffer, render using saved brush data):

paradoxnj

paradoxnj

 

My first entry!! :)

Where to start??? Well...I've been working on my 3D engine, Jet3D. We are trying to upgrade it from DirectX 7 to DirectX 9 and are running into some design issues.

Our engine uses a BSP to render and we've finally found a way to batch render. We decided that the BSP is only good for collision and the engine's toolset. We will render the world using a combination of occlusion culling and frustum culling.

More to come later...

paradoxnj

paradoxnj

Sign in to follow this  
  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!