About this blog
Log of the development of CAN's games.
Entries in this blog
Bravehorse can now run on all graphics cards! If you were experiencing graphics stretching this update will fix that.
or you can get the zip version.
Our contest entry is complete:
The Pony Princess has been captured by horrible monsters. You are the only horse brave enough to enter their territory alone and face them head on, in an attempt to rescue her.
It's programmed in C++ and uses DirectX. We made everything in 2 weeks. We are planning on making a longer game with this engine so please give us any comments or suggestions you might have.
If you recieve .dll errors try installing the newest version of DirectX. If you are having resolution problems, it is because you have an old graphics controller.
New enemy added in, the mushroom man. It's a spider like creature with a mushroom on its head. He walks around peacefully, unless you get too close to him. He attacks with his poisonous spores that come out of his mushroom head. The spore attack uses my new particle system (there is only one color particle at the moment):
Its too bad that he full coolness of the spore attack cannot be captured in a single frame.
I've also realized that almost every single screenshot so far looks exactly the same, with the grass and the trees. We need more enviornment stuff bad!
I'm planning on adding in special attacks this week, and some other stuff using the particle systems. You will probably see some more updates within a few days and we are still looking for another artist, so if you like the project and want too help us out send me an email or pm.
Added in some particle stuff like blood and rain. I've been trying to work on the game a lot, but it is really hard without graphics, and Nizzate has been way too busy to draw any. So we decided that we are going to get another artist to help us out. So if you are interested in doing some graphics or animations for the game, just send me a pm or email.
I have been doing some major updates lately, but I haven't posted anything because I've just been using place holders that I drew in ms paint in about 5 seconds. About everything is done with the inventory menu and character page. Equipping is about done and i'm working on special attacks at the moment. I also took a break for a day or two to make our webpage, which is currently being hosted here on gamedev but we are going get a real domain name soon. Check it out, and tell us what you think of it!
Our Web Page
Here are some screen shots that are 100% complete and not placeholders.
Here our monster man is equipped with a wood club, or it might be a cricket bat. You can also see the discription of the item as well as its stats. The awesome hud shows the beautiful picture of the equipped weapon.
Here you can see the menu selection arrow. Looks pretty cool, and pretty scary.
I thought I would show a picture of the character's more emotional side. Here he is visiting his favorite flower garden in the forest. Also, if you look close enough, you can catch a glimpse of the ending boss hiding behind a tree in the background.
Alright, so actually all of these are placeholders, except for the red squigly monster, I just drew him in there with ms-paint. Every single graphic you see up there is going to be changed. Nizzate is working on the character animations right now so i'm stuck with creating my own graphics for the moment. Right now I only have the rough versions of the character and background images (super rough). The new ones are a lot better, I just havent added them in yet. We are also getting rid of that super retarded pig because he looks like a piece of k-rap.
Well, I just wanted to post an update since I haven't in awhile. I just don't really like posting them up with crap graphics, but here they are anyway. The real graphics are going to be a lot better, trust me.
The Inventory System is completed, although the graphics still may change. The health bar and the items are place holders.
I've got the basics of the combat system complete: Hitting and recieving damage. Still a lot more to add on.
Here is a mockup Nizzate made, even though most of this is already in the game.
I haven't been able to work on the game too much lately, but I've got most of the level editor done.
This is just a background I threw together quick for a screen shot. The multiple ferns and pigs are just placeholders for now untill I have more to add. I also think the grass color and some of the other bush's colors are too close together. And the background is way to close to the player's skin.
Nothing really that new for the graphics. Nizzate has been doing the character animation and Phlox has been doing some background stuff that I do not have right now.
Finally finished the map system, it took a few days longer than expected but it's done(hopefully for good). The next thing on the list is the fighting system, which should be fun. Nizzate is almost finished with the first walking animations for one of the orcs.
We have decided on a name for our game: Steve Orkel. The main character is going to be an orc version of Steve Urkel . Something like this:
Alright, Steve Orkel is not the real title of the game nor is the main character going to be a nerdy orc. I guess we will just have to think of a title when we are further along.
We are starting the log of the development of the newest game we are creating. It is an action RPG, where you take the role of the badguy, an orc. The player is to raid villages and attack humans. I am almost done with the begining of the map system, walking and scrolling through different maps. Nizzate is working on test animations for the orc main character and some forest stuff.
Still a work in progress.
There is still a lot of stuff we need to decide, like the name of the game. I was hoping to be able to start the fighting system tomorrow, but I still have a lot to work on with the maps. It is taking a lot longer than expected.