Met yesterdays objective, the file is now being loaded into memory without crashing. Ran into a strange behaviour in MSVC9. Aparrently, this is not a warning at level 3:
case 1: ... break;
case 2: ... break;
case 3: ... break;
default: ... break;
It caused an equally bizarre problem however. In debug mode, the testharness I created seemed to work, although it always passed triangles down to the 100th level limit that I set to prevent superflous subdivision of the octree. In release mode, it caused the application to eat memory at the rate of 500meg per second. Aparrently this is faster than Vista is capable of guarding against, because not only did it page out everything, but the entire machine froze.
One hard reboot later and I took my problem to the irc channel, and found that I had been banned, with a link to a reply in the thread I started in the lounge detailing why. I might have to publicly clarify what I meant by "stop me from procrastinating". But your hearts are in the right place, so thank very much you anyway.
Now, I am able to feed a file in AC3D format into the system, and transform it into the correct memory format. My next step will be to get it drawing onscreen, using intermediate mode. This will prove that the triangles were sorted into the correct tree. After that, I will convert it so that it is rendered with vertex arrays instead.
- Chatted with an old college friend. (this is allowed of course)
- Ate 2 slices of toast with butter. Its surprising that if you dont move around alot, you will not need alot of food.
- Drank chocolate milkshake (easy recipe: throw ice, sugar, cocoa powder and milk into blender. Blend to a thick paste. Then add more milk, and drink)
- Played games for around 2 hours.
- Breathed approximately 2000 gallons of air. Had to open my bedroom window which was glued shut with spider webs.
- Drank roughly 2 pints of water.
It seems that if I continue this trend, by the end of the week I will be able to live on a small amount of air and one glass of water alone. This will surely make me a better programmer!
Tomorrows objective: Create screenshots of the entire mesh being rendered with textures.