In my previous posts i outlined my main goals and ideas about why i'm going in to the gaming market. Like i mentioned before, i wanted to make sure that i could actually learn the basic stuff to manage and even create game content or at least manage and/or lead a team of game designers/coders/writers and so on.
Many things have happened sins my last 2 posts wish i will write down below,
- I realizes a fatal flaw of myself and thats that i'm not good teaching myself. I realized this when i learned php and even basic html a couple of years ago. After trying for months i just couldn't get the pieces together and then i decided to start evening classes wish gave big improvements to my learning process.
Same problems are facing me right now, and i can't see that trees behind the forest. I'm currently watching videos on 3dbuzz.com and some amazon programing book about c & c++.
Yesterday i wrote down all mayor questions i have and these will hopefully give me a better understanding of what needs to be done. Hope to get a lot of responds so i can get a better understanding and get a little closer to my goals (baby steps are still steps right).
For anyone who hasn't read my previous posts, here is a little recap.
I want to create my AAA multi-player game, i have the investment to fund a semi large team but don't have programing skills, i have extended knowhow and experience in "entertainment marketing" but again, no experience in working or leading a team of developers. Thats why i'm here to see if i can learn the necessary knowledge of game programing to "maybe" make my project a reality.
Here are the questions that i would like to get answers to.
1. I would like to select a game engine to speed up the procces but still haven't figured out wish would be best to use for MMO & multi-player games.(my personal interest goes out to unreal because it has proven itself and theres a lot of documentation about it.But maybe you have better suggestions for me.
1a. The Unreal Engine 3 licenses agreement got my confused. I want to purchase as many licenses as required but don't really get what i need to purchase so the 25% rev deal applies . Can't imagine all developers using unreal engine are paying a 25% cut. (i know its free but not when used commercially).
2. I'm looking for guides,blogs, books that cover "making a game" but then on a manager, funder, producer perspective. (like i mentioned before, i don't want to become a developer but want to know what the developers are doing)Good developers blogs are also nice to have. (outlining the problems they faced and so on...)
3. Is there a way i could have a more 1 on 1 training or mentoring so i have somebody to run to when questions arise and guide me to my process. (like the questions i'm asking right now) Any online service or school or anything that resembles my question. A mentor would be best to describe it.
4. Like i mentioned before, i have been very lucky to have the option to invest my own money in my own projects without outside investment. But i still need to get a better picture on project costs such as employment costs, servers, licenses, and so on...
So thise are the most urgent questions on my mind and hope to get lots of advaci from everyone reading this (i know there are a lot of questions but i would really appreciate it to got your input.)