About this blog
Taking an old IT Geek and turning him in to a Game Developer by creating Yet Another Rogue game.
Entries in this blog
Been a busy few weeks at The YAR Project. Lots of traveling allowed me much time for reading. The book I used for my cross country flight was Game Engine Architecture by Jason Gregory.
It was in short a very curious read. I was able to understand the whole book and learned quite a bit, but I was left with a feeling of "Now what do I do?" Personally I suspect that this feeling is mostly because of where I am personally with my own development. I am still working SDL and simple 2D. I suspect that as I move to 3D more of the text will be relevant to me.
On the development front, I got quite a few more features done on the back end. I now have a simple INI file a means to change configurations without recompiling. I still need to play with some of the graphic elements for layout, but for the most part everything looks nice. The next big step is creating AI for the NPCs. In this case the classic ghosts for Pac-Man.
There are two parts with this step. First is to figure out how the AI logic for each of the Ghosts then second figuring out how to implement that Logic though external scripting using Python. The latter is the more interesting challenge for me. That is what will pushing my understanding of programing. Also it is sort of the last major programing function that I have not tackled yet.
Unfortunately, the next two weeks for me include quite a bit of traveling, so I am not sure how much direct progress will be made. Of course this means more reading time, but not much to show for it all.
This has been a fairly productive week over here at The Yar Project. Though nothing flashy to show for it, unless you like to look at lines of "clever" code. In this case the code is clever in that it is a solution to a problem I was facing. However, I would not call it "good" code. Many parts still have an air of hack-ish-ness to it.
The big thing for me this week was operator overloading. Some parts like creating point offsetting (vector addition) make sense. Using the "less-than" operator as a tool for comparing overlapping shapes for collision is a dirty little shorthand.
Overloading the division operator on a Velocity vector to be used for calculating delta per frame update may be a bit overboard and in the process making assumptions that velocity is in Pixels per Second and I need Pixels per Frame. Since I am doing this in 2D SDL and everything is integer based I had to do some scaling in the operator to go between seconds and milliseconds (clock ticks).
I have now been doing this for four weeks. Sure not long, but I am just starting. It has been kind of odd. I am able to get a few hours a day to program. Though out the day I mull though what ever design problem that is currently troubling me. Also I get about an hour or two of reading done as well. So I am not sure how my progress is measuring up.
It is kind of odd, I get in to a grove and get a lot done, but then I look up and realize that a few hours have passed. But then it is like that when I am gaming, so it isn't new. Just curious.
The project has been underway for a few weeks now. All the gory details can be found at The YAR Project Blog. But here I will list a few of the more important achievements and notable events.
The latest version of the Connect Four Exercise has been completed now ready for public consumption up on SourceForge
This is the first graphical interactive game I have done. It is mostly an exercise in basic game control and refamiliarizing myself with C++. Everything is fairly simplistic in view. I am not a graphic artist or sound designer, so those elements are very basic.