Seems that I made the mistake of passing a "raw" vector from the VS->PS via a TEXCOORD semantic. I'm sure I've done similar things before and not had any problems, but I guess in this instance it decided to hurt me.
Normalizing the vector before handing it over to the PS seems to have solved it:
Simple test of the specular on a sphere - a 16.0 exponent being used.
The same sphere but through the final blinn-phong shader. The specular highlight is more difficult to see this time, but it is there [grin]
My tasks this evening, time permitting will be to test my anisotropic model - which should allow me to control the shape of the specular contribution. Also, from this thread it seems my ATI drivers are over a year out of date - so I'll see about upgrading those and see if they solve my VPU-wants-to-explode crashes.
To finish off this entry, I got a PM from superpig yesterday:
Quote:"Sam G" being Sam Glassenberg - the program manager for Direct3D and the material system being this one if you missed it.
Sam G cited your material system article in the MS Developer Day sessions today [grin]
Two things I'd like to do at some point in my career are to write a book and give a talk at GDC (or quivalent) - I suppose being cited in one of the GDC talks is a step in the right direction [grin][grin][grin]