On another note, I have indeed found and squashed the elusive ASP crashing bug. Turns out the profile page was using a function I wrote to strip out html. Well this function was written using a VBScript regular expression.. all I can say is, wtf Microsoft?!
The VBscript regexp engine has to be one of the poorest implementations of regular expressions I have ever seen. In most cases it can get the job done, but it is just so insanely limited in it's capability.. it is hardly "modern" by any stretch of the imagination. For html stripping I ended up resorting to something which manipulated the strings without resorting to utilizing regular expressions.
Hmm.. Gonna check the server quick and see if we've crashed at all today... NOPE! Woo hoo!
Now if this isn't because DNS has been out so damn much, we're frickin set!
Our site right now serves anywhere from 5 to 20 ASP pages per second depending on the time of day. At the end of the month this will have translated to somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 million ASP pages. Remember though, each page contains a banner link and on occasion your browser downloads the CSS sheet theme.asp. When all is said and done we get somewhere between 6 and 7 million actual pages being viewed.
I do have to say, though, that IIS 6 has been a VAST improvement over IIS 5. The application pooling, ASP template caching, and http compression alone made it worth the upgrade.