As I said previously, I initiated a group decision to migrate all the old OpenGL code to DirectX.
Well, for the past 3 days I have been very busy rewriting pretty much everything and I'm still not there.
Basically, I had the implementation in my head but inorder to do it with DirectX I had to rewrite the main base of the engine. Once I had my fundementals in place (DirectX Graphics Manager, Vertex Buffer Manager, Texture Manager etc) I could start rewriting the next level of the engine.
Now, with all my projects I always like to have some form of interaction with the inside of the engine as the first step (I find its easier that way). So I always implement a console system- its invaluable in the early build/debug stages of the engine.
However, my old console class was a bit clumsy and bloated so I decided to write afresh, infact I decided to go a little deeper and make the console class out of objects of the UI I am going to work on soon. So I wrote some fundemental bare-bone UI classes, like CUIPanel and CUIImage, and used them to construct the console. Whereas before, I had constructed the console out of its own bits and bobs- this way I feel it is more integrated.
I have also looked at all the old classes and made them far more OO and writing them so they can easily be plugged into other classes without much hassle.
I have also started writing up official reference documentation, which makes me happy. Along with that, I spent 45 minutes doing a new logo- I'm really pleased with it since it is more clean and professional looking.
Anyway, heres the first blinking cursor of the Console:
I have actually really enjoyed the migration so far. It went off to a bumpy start but I have got a vision to follow now [smile]