Anyway, the good news is that I fixed it. The bad news is that it sucks at performance [smile]
Without much modification, I was getting 11 FPS (The original method got ~90FPS). After getting the sprites for the tiles added directly into the sprite manager instead of into the scene graph and then added to the sprite manager frok there at render time, I got to 40 FPS. After screwing around for a while and letting the sprites persist (Basically making another scene graph), I got 60 FPS. Still a fair bit slower than the 90FPS I was getting before I started [sad]
So, I'll go back to my original method for now I think. I'm also going to assume all sprites have alpha with them, that'll tidy the code up a fair bit, and most of the sprites will be using alpha anyway (The only place they may not be is in the background maps, and that's a special case here anyway).
My intentions for my ~2.5 hours of free time tomorrow are to bin the sprite-based map, and maybe tinker with audio a bit. That's probably best left till later though. I'll probably do some actual "game" code too, like the login screen, etc etc.
Some nice UI code wouldn't go amiss either, since there'll be pleanty of UI in the game. Feh, I'm sure I'll find something constructive to do.
I didn't get much done today. I got home from work, then had to go straight back out again to see Pirates Of The Caribbean 2. Which is awesome, although it really begins to drag on near the end, particularly when the cinema is like a shitting sauna. So my day has consisted of: Go to work, go to the cinema and then go to bed, with a brief 5 minute journal entry in there. Feh.
Ok, I'm off. I have to be up in under 7 hours >_<