Headlights are finished and implemented for all 30 vehicles [save for any minor luminance map adjustments]. I removed backward projection artifacts as well, and made some optimizations to the whole headlight system.
I'm really happy that I re-wrote the visibility determination system (or rather actually WROTE one] for the actors/objects/vehicles. It increased the game's frame rate by at least 50%. Because of the way I setup the city I can get away with very cheap ray casts in some situations, and this really helped me to speed the whole game up.
Again a overview of the stuff implemented for the night phase:
- Luminance maps for all buildings/vehicles
- Projected headlights for vehicles
- 1000s of dynamic lights/streetlights [nearest light lookup + projected textures]
- Post process bloom [using the luminance maps]
- General light system for entity lighting, gunshots, sirens, etc.
So yea. I'm happy with the way it's coming together. Overall I'm still chiseling away at the visual artifacts in night mode. I've pretty much got it under control now, I just need to implemented streetlights. Should be done tomorrow.
Check these screens out, and let me know what you think!
[Sorry if these appear a little dark, once I get streelights implemented things should lighten up a bit ;-)]
//I'm a fan of this headlight effect, if you couldn't tell.
//I had to add a custom version of this car into the game, with the headlights raised up.