What's a first week of classes/university without checking out the intro class for the Karate club?
It was definitely a good workout -- and I remember a few of the kicks/punches -- but I'm hurting still. Not being an active exercise'r, doing 100 crunches or so (of varying flavours) has given me pained abs for the last couple of days. My legs endured a similar experience after a short 2.5km run on my residence's gym's treadmill. Crap, I'm out of shape.
Irregardless, I'm going to be pushing myself to beef up my cardio, muscle, and general fitness. Now that I'm at a place that's actually packed with tools for getting in shape, there's just no excuse not to.
Plus, buff programmers get all the ladies.
GameDev - FPS!
So I've been continuing to tinker away at the map system (both format and rendering) for my cyberpunk/FPS/DooM-ish game.
The original approach was to make a tile-based format similar to the ancient Wolfenstein 3D, but I soon realized that this would be painfully limiting. I mean, how many interesting levels can really come out of a tile-based 3D game? (I of course exclude the awesome RoTT)
So I scrapped that code. Next up was kicking the complexity/flexibility up a notch with a rectangular sector system. I figured this would be ideal, since it's essentially a median of the tile-based Wolf3D map format and polygonal-sector'd format of DooM. It's also pretty easy/fast to drag+drop rectangles in a map editor. I soon realized that this, although reasonably flexible, would be a pain in the arse. Attaching portals -- portals being part of a wall removed so that another joined sector can be latched onto it -- would be a burden, since the sectors are defined by x/y/width/height rather than a cluster of vertices like DooM or Duke3D.
So I scrapped that code. Next up, of course, was the tested-and-true method of polygonal sectors. Ironically, what I deemed the most complex and time-consuming ended up being the easiest one of all to implement. Yesterday I wrote virtually all of the rendering, including: normal sectors, subsectors, portals, proper texture mapping (the coords took FOREVER, gah!), and variable floors/roofs that adjust their lower/upper/main walls accordingly.
(That nice sector is currently hard-coded-ly moving up and down to a sine wave!)
Sorry if there aren't many types of textures at the moment; looks a tad monotonous. These are just the initial ones by Draffurd so I had something other than programmer art to work with. [smile]
But progress didn't stop there! This morning (between classes, of course :P) I implemented a free-look mouse-controlled camera that allows for forward, backward, and strafing movements via a Camera class.
So yeah, things are going well on this project. Next up is the fabled map editor! :-O
(Oh, and kudos to John Hattan, whose point-in-polygon code I grabbed (and fully credited in source/future-credits-screen) and adapted. I owe you a beer. [smile])