As SGA is a game development competition, for students, it is only natural that the participants are independent developers. But as we all know there isn't a really big gamer community for independent games. Most gamers play AAA-titles. So to bring some attention to the games we organized a game tournament, where you play the winning games of SGA 2006. The tournament was cutely named Gamers' Challenge.
The event was a real learning experience. Neither I nor anyone else of the organizers has held a game tournament, but how hard can it be? Actually, it wasn't that hard.
- You'll need a lot of computers - host it at a gaming cafe
- You'll need games to play - use winners/participants from a game dev compo
- You'll need to keep scores - use CompoMaster
- You'll need prizes - use merchandise from sponsors
- You'll want spectator mode, real-time score updating, other stuff in AAA titles - it won't happen
But we pulled it off! You can read about the event on our site.