As I promised, a more detailed look as to what will be going on. Look at the picture, then the number, its pretty simple :)
1. Anerexic mofo: You play as happy go lucky stick figure looking guy. "Why a stick figure Mr. SSG?" I will tell you why, I want to do the art myself. Its easy, simple. and can be emoted in many different ways.
2. Plunder for ye!: What is something that everyone likes to do, well collect jewels dummy :) . If your out and about, picking up stones your not sitting around being lazy, doing drugs, or just getting into trouble :). Chances are they wont be jewels when the game is finished.
3. "Insert annoying BEEP here": "But why health Mr. SSG?" Yet again, another great question, let me fill you in a bit. Well there will be baddies. In many different shapes and sizes.
4. For the Playa in all of us: A score, generic I know. I have never made a game that has one, there small, trivial, and it opens up a possiability I dont want to elab on yet :)
5. Dont let it hit ya on the way out: Start here, end here. Plain and simple
6. Holds your shirt together: Yea so ive come up with an idea for a unique control scheme. I like using both mouse and keyboard when you play a game. The keyboard will be used for movement, left and right. If you want to jump, click the jump button, if you want to parashute, click the button, if you want to pound the ground, click it. The coins that you collect are used to purchace the ability to do new moves. If you get to level three and you need a parashute, you might just have to play lvl 1 again to get some easy coins. Once you get to a farther level, you get a different kind of currency of greater value. AKA 100 coins could be 1 dollar. ETC.... That way you dont farm the easy levels. Im evil, muahaha.
Thats essentially it. Now on the technical aspect of things you wont see:
1. I will be using TinyXML for my map/sprite files. Its just better, plain and simple.
2. SDL not XNA. Simply because I wont be playing in on my Xbox, I wont be selling it, its just for fun. That and my knowledge base of SDL is alot bigger then XNA, it would just help in the time frame that I have.
3. Technically speaking, this game is a learning experience for me. I want to try and use the knowledge ive gained from work to try and help my project along. Most of my games before have been a hashing together of code, this one I plan on designing to be easy to use and more stable then my previous projects.
Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Dontations?!?!?! Feel free, I love them :)
So I got into a discussion last night with my roomate about work. He informed me (with his opinion) that being a programmer isnt something that can tire you out, frustrate you, or exaust you. Since its not back breaking labor there should be no reason for me to need a vacation from work, since I dont do much while im working anyways.
I think that is fucking bullshit. There is two types of exaustion, Physical and Mental. If you look at code all day, debug, design, impliment, and just plain code, its TIRING! It is a mental strain to do it for long periods of time, days in a row. It can burn you out. My back doesent hurt, and my feet arent sore, but when you cant focus on anything because you spent all your mental energy trying to concentrate all day, you realize that programming games isnt like playing them. Its fun yes, but only if you enjoy programming.
Ive also learned (thanks to work/Raymondo) that its BEST (AND I MEAN BEST) if you make a mockup before you work. Not only does it help you get the resourses you will need, it helps you make the game. If you design what you want and visually how you want it to operate, you dont end up coding on the fly, which from past experiences is a NO NO!