Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    246
  • comments
    175
  • views
    153247

random musings

Sign in to follow this  
SteelGolem

98 views

played hopedagger's membrane massacre - all done in allegro, it hurts me that i haven't done anything of this calibre yet.. SURELY i could do that :P well honestly the problem is feature creep on that. i tried making a spaceship game and it turned out that i wanted to have a vector-based world that would be fully destructable and properly rebound collisions and stuff. i wanted buildable bases and all sorts of nonsense that i just didn't have plans for, and ended up giving up on it. membrane massacre reminded me of all that fun stuff. who's to say i won't pick up the reigns on that again?

i finally brawled through the important bits of Accelerated C++. wtf? like nothing at all in it on streams! i'm gonna need to buy an stl-specific book. sucky deal. but oh well i'll pick up what i need to as i work through Game Coding Complete, which is what i'm on now.

the topic on my mind right now is how much of a game needs to be known before one should start work on it. like, i realize that i should know everything about the game before i sit at the compiler. but who really does that? like, seriously. but how else am i ever gonna get anything planned if i don't know exactly what i need? i guess i answer my own questions.. ^_^

its funny that i'm reading a thick textbook on making video games and i haven't ever really sat down and figured out exactly what i want out of any of the projects i wanted to make. a racing game where you smash cars up, a spaceship game where you fight big moving bases, an adventure game where you look for items to make yourself more powerful... hasn't all this stuff been done before already? i mean, taking membrane massacre as an example - what sets this game apart from other spaceship games? honestly, not much. but i still had fun with it. isn't that what really matters? i guess thats the real question, what makes something fun?
Sign in to follow this  


2 Comments


Recommended Comments

Quote:
Original post by SteelGolem
played hopedagger's membrane massacre - all done in allegro


Thanks for the plug!

Quote:
membrane massacre reminded me of all that fun stuff. who's to say i won't pick up the reigns on that again?


Hop to it, I say! :)

Quote:
the topic on my mind right now is how much of a game needs to be known before one should start work on it. like, i realize that i should know everything about the game before i sit at the compiler. but who really does that? like, seriously. but how else am i ever gonna get anything planned if i don't know exactly what i need? i guess i answer my own questions.. ^_^


I find that the best thing to do is to plan out the 'gist' of the game. Sure, throw in a few details here and there, but mainly the point is to write out the cool thoughts about the game that are already milling about in your noggin', and flesh THOSE out. Once you have that, I'd say you're ready to get started.

Quote:
i mean, taking membrane massacre as an example - what sets this game apart from other spaceship games? honestly, not much.


Hey! :P

Quote:
but i still had fun with it. isn't that what really matters? i guess thats the real question, what makes something fun?


Usually if you're having a heap of fun writing it, then it's going to be fun playing it as well. Look at other games that you really enjoy, and isolate the main parts that you enjoy from it; it's much easier than you think, IMHO. It's nearly impossible to create your own original fun ideas, so take the stuff you love from existing games and tweak/reform/merge those ideas until you get something really cool that feels genuinely your own. :)

Good luck!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Quote:

the topic on my mind right now is how much of a game needs to be known before one should start work on it. like, i realize that i should know everything about the game before i sit at the compiler. but who really does that? like, seriously. but how else am i ever gonna get anything planned if i don't know exactly what i need? i guess i answer my own questions.. ^_^

I remember this dilemma. I used to sit and just design, design, design every little nitty gritty detail and by the time I was halfway done I no longer had any desire to actually make the damn game.

Just be as generic as possible in the design phase. Write down what you want to do, and then once you start coding stuff further revise the design as you go along.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now