You know how it is. You just get so sick of placement, prototype stand-in cubes that you can't stand it anymore. Without any visual indication of progress it felt like I was spinning my wheels setting up an engine and not a game. It's difficult for me to prioritize things I need to get implemented for the game and not get bored trying or simply running out of time.
That's how I've felt this past week, so I spent time learning how to use Blender. I tried to pick it up about a year ago and really hated it. I dabbled into the Milkshape a little bit, but then decided to try out Blender again. It's amazing what a few versions can do to a modeling program. Now editing in it feels so fun and natural to me, I find myself doing blender shortcuts in other programs. Or maybe that's my ridiculously good muscle memory kicking in again .. hrrm.
One of the major problems that I had was setting up a scale between Blender and Ogre. I had a lot of old prop models that were all different scales and I just modified a meta file that I used for loading them to set a proper scale. It just got plain silly when I was giving models a scale of
The second problem that I had in blender was dealing with tiling textures. It's a pain in the ass to do stuff in blender when you're doing stuff like this for all of the walls:
I guess in due time, I'll develop a method for things to look correct the first time around. But for now I'm happy with what I've accomplished so far.
Basically what I've done since the last time I updated this journal was I implemented a AI state machines, and the ability for an employee to walk up to a customer press a button (or whatever the user bound the ACTION_OK to - it could even be a mouse axis .. but that's crazy) and have that customer follow them around forever. This was much fun to debug, because sometimes the customer would shove the employer around until I forced it to have a 1 meter of respect around the player.
I made the table and chairs, and the new "testing" room in blender. I know the textures a bit plain for the tables, but I like the floor texture :). The white brick to the left is something to help me with the scale of the restaurant as I add more things to it in blender. I don't have a real idea of what I want the restaurant to look like, but I do have concept art that I made 10 months ago:
I'll do my best to make it look like that - without the smudges of course.
The next thing that I need to do is set up a Table Object so that when I approach a table after grabbing a customer, they'll take a random available seat and pretend to place an order. That and I want to make a new model to replace that damn ninja.
I still need to replace my LuaPlus implementation with a LuaBind one instead, I'm afraid of doing that because it will break the nice shell that I have of objects loading in script, etc, etc. It should be for the best though. Plus I want to get dialogue trees going in this soon :)