Download Brixtar Alpha - Windows Version
I've finally got a version of Brixtar ready for download. It's a bit scrappy around the edges, and I haven't had much time to play test it yet, but it should be a good sample of the game.
Currently I've only got the Windows version ready. There's still a few kinks I need to work out with the platform specific code for the Mac OS X version, which I hope to get sorted out by tomorrow.
I ran out of time so I haven't put a readme file in to this alpha version, so things might be a bit confusing. Here's a short description of the game:
Left and right arrow keys move the paddle.
Space releases the ball at the start of the game.
F1 restarts a new game; currently at "Game Over" that's the only way to start the game again
Escape quits the game (instantly and without warning)
To activate cheat mode, spin around on your chair three times anti-clockwise while humming Waltzing Matilda backwards. You can then use the following cheats:
F9 - Lose a life
F10 - Gain a life
F11 - Go back a level
F12 - Go forward a level
Be forewarned that the game will mercilessly taunt you for your use of cheats.
Each brick is worth 10 points. If a ball hits more than one brick on its flight from the paddle, each subsequent brick is worth 10 points more than the next; i.e. the second is worth 20 points, third 30 points and so on.
The brick's point worth is also multiplied by the score multiplier shown at the bottom of the screen. Finally, fireballs and ultraballs give you double points for any bricks hit.
Rock bricks are not worth anything if you manage to destroy them.
Powerups appear at random when you destroy a brick. Each powerup is colour coded and can only appear when you destroy the corresponding brick colour.
- Fireball (Red with an F): Will destroy the darker bricks that usually need multiple hits in a single hit
- Powerball (Yellow with a P): Will keep going after destroying a brick, allowing it to plough through chains of bricks
- Multiball (Blue with an M): All balls in play will split into two balls. As long as one ball is in play then you will not lose a life
- Guard (Green with a G): A forcefield is activated at the bottom the screen that will deflect one ball
- Score Multiplier (Magenta with an S): The score multiplier will increase by one
- One Up (White with a 1): Gain an extra life
- No menu: I'll work on this this week
- No sound: SDL_mixer is loaded but there are no sound effects as of yet
- Lack of levels: I've only got eight done so far
- Lack of playtesting: I need to play this more myself. I expect the levels and powerups are not very balanced in their current state
- No icons for the game: I haven't got round making an icon yet; will do
Please try out Brixtar and give me your feedback. I'll still be working on it this week, adding in some new levels and playing around with the scoring, powerups and general gameplay.