Normally this wouldn't be a problem because I backup everything, however I was one day away from receiving my new backup storage device. Then this all happened.
I guess there is no point in complaining about what happened and just move on. I might have lost my source code, but I didn't loose the knowledge I obtained from writing the engine.
I'm off to get started on another game engine. I did receive my other books so I might change API's now, I'm not sure. Right now I'm going to get working on plans to design my new engine. I'll figure out what API I'm going to use later. I'll have some updates on the new engine with a week or two, however since this is going to be a project I intend to make a full game with, a lot of work is going to be put into this engine, along with backups for every change to the engine.
I was really looking forward to finishing this engine with the map editor and releasing it to you all, sadly this will not happen.