So that's a thing.
A group of us got into San Francisco last night around 6:00pm PST, which is especially fantastic given that when entering a new city I'm not entirely unlike an easily-distracted puppy dog attracted to shiny objects and big buildings and people on the streets doing the robot. After Ian, John, and I all rocked BART to our hotel near the Mascone Center, we all met up at an Irish pub for Oscars,
These are a bunch of nerds.
The night ended in a befittingly extravagant way: going back to the hotel room and forming my schedule for GDC. Which is reprinted here for filler.
Game Design Workshop (all day)
This really depends on how my first day with the Game Design Workshop; if the workshop is awesome I'm probably going to rock the second day as well (since the Game Design Workshop is a two day thing). If the Game Design Workshop is not awesome then I'll probably rock the Level Design Workshop (all day thing).
- happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birrrrrrrrrrrrrthday to meeeeeEeeEEeeeEEEe, happy birthday to me.
- The Complex Challenges of Intuitive Design: 9:00am - 10:00am
- Uniquely Ruthless: The Espionage Metagame of EVE Online: 10:30am - 11:30am
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm
- Design in Detail: Changing the Time Between Shots for the Sniper Rifle from 0.5 to 0.7 Seconds for Halo 3
- One-Page Designs
- What Happened Here? Environmental Storytelling: 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Achievements Considered Harmful?: 4:30pm - 5:30pm
- The 12th Annual Independent Games Festival: 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- The 10th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards: 7:30pm - 8:30pm
- 9:00am - 10:00am
- Environmental Narrative: Your World is Your Story
- GDC Microtalks 2010: Ten Speakers, 200 Slides, Limitless Ideas!
- The Psychology of Game Design (Everything You Know Is Wrong): 10:30am - 11:30am
- Creating the Active Cinematic Experience of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves: 1:30pm - 2:30pm
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Designing for Co-Operative Play in an Open World
- The Connected Future of Games
- 4:30pm - 5:30pm
- Multiplayer Level Design in Red Faction Guerrilla
- Prototyping Based Design: A Better, Faster Way to Design Your Game
I'm not doing much since I'm flying out in the afternoon, but:
- Five Ways a Game Can Make You Cry: 9:00am - 9:25am
- Designing Shadow Complex: 9:35am - 10:00am
- Make 'Em Laugh: Comedy in Games: 10:30am - 11:30am