I managed to make two animations with Blender3D for my rag-doll, one for running and another one is intended for jumping but it ended up looking more like "freaking out while falling". I exported them to my format and got them ready to be loaded in a test application.
On the other hand I've been adapting the swept-ellipsoid collision detection to be used in my engine. It was mostly a copy paste from that example that has been online for years. It does the job.
What else.. Oh yes, I blew the dust off my joypad and connected it to try it out with SDL. It worked like a bliss too.
Then I made a sort of level with Blender (just one mesh) to stress test the collision detection. I attached the rag-doll to the ellipsoid, coded some basic input for a platform game and here the result.
As always, the capture frame-rate I'm getting with CamStudio sucks. Mostly because this computer is old and I had quite a few programs running in the background.
Among the quatrillon pending issues the ones that follow are:
- Space-partitioning, which would involve gluing some code I wrote SEVERAL years ago.
- Detecting when the rag-doll isn't standing on the floor to avoid having it jumping near walls in mid-air.
- Time-based movement and physics.
- Making the player input management independent from the device the input is coming.
Let's see what happens. See you next time!