[size="3"]I've spent two days building SSAO with Direct3D. I used the method described in the GameDev.net article A Simple and Practical Approach to SSAO. After some tweeking I've got some decent results and speeds. It uses two buffers for normals and positions vs extracting position from depth and perspective. The result is blurred using a two-pass box blur.
Later today I'll start adding this AO implementation to the Leaf Painter. It should greatly improve the leaf textures.
In other news - the BrushUp Utlity GUI is finished. See below:
[size="3"]It has a re-sizable and intuitive interface with drag-and-drop list box and image preview. It uses an iterative thread scheduler to process cropped images based on CPU count. I'll release the scheduler source on my website when I get around to it.