Attached are some screenshots, because, everybody likes screenshots. #1 is of the separate components of the g-buffer, with just my skydome, which I'm very proud of, and kinda sad it stopped working. #2 is pretty much the same scene, only with the directional light rendered onto the background. #3 shows the directional light after some time has passed and the sun has kind of gone down.
The reason I am so proud of my skydome is because I draw the sun onto the skydome in a pixel shader program, and moved the sun's position across the sky, and use that to calculate the direction of the single directional light I am rendering. I used to have this exposed to a Lua script, which I'm not remembering why I stripped out at one point. Some of you might remember seeing a render of the sun and a terrain I used to have as my avatar on this site a long time ago. That was made with a previous version of this project, probably prototyped in XNA back then. Once I have the rest of the deferred rendering in place, I'll go back and see what needs to be done to draw the skydome. I'm guessing I will just have to draw it last, in its own pass and there will probably be a little refactoring of my renderer class to support that.
I sat down last night and actually came up with a set of requirements, more of a roadmap of things I want to implement for this project. For now it is just a hobby, but the roadmap does lead to it becoming a game in the distant future. Just doing that has given me alot of motivation, seeing a clear beginning and ending point, and how much more fun some of the later features will be to create once I've gotten some of the groundwork out of the way.
Hopefully there will be another entry soon with screenshots of my completed deferred rendering. Possibly with or without a sky.