As I last left off I was working on a little game trying to use trading card game mechanics. At one point I took this to the tower defense genre. It didn't fit very well and when it did, it seemed way too much like a rip off of 'Plants vs Zombies'. So back to the four player version using a game board not unlike a chess board.
The basics of the game is each player plays his turn out one at a time. Everything is turn based, each game piece can execute one action a turn. Each turn the player resource pool grows slightly allowing them to play tokens to the battlefield or cast spells from the tokens in hand. To win a player must get his token within reach of the players home squares and attack (move onto) them to deal damage to the player.
By moving tokens to a square they consume it, converting it to one their tiles. The point here is that tokens can only be placed on the tiles you own. Your home tiles of course can never be converted or occupied by your opponent. Therefore there is always somewhere to place your tokens. Bolting your tokens straight for a player can be beneficial too, as it lets you play new tokens closer to the enemy's home.
I'm still implementing the base structure of the game, and making sure the mechanics work correctly and are fun. The player cant play it at the moment, but I have a rudimentary AI in place to test things out.
I also picked up some crack from Blizzard North earlier this month, and boy was I dissapointed. Only time will tell if it was really worth it... so far nah. It did create this itch in me to mess around with procedural generated worlds again though. Spent a couple hours yesterday and through together simple dungeon generator. Only floors and walls at the moment.
Each piece of wall is a game object though. Which every object in the game from a breakable barrel to the player will be based off of. I think Ill throw together a simple gauntlet/zelda clone to get my feet wet in component based designs. Right now it uses an inheritance design, as that was a lot easier to throw together for something I was just messing around with.
Got an hour or two before work, gonna throw together some code to populate the dungeon with things like barrels, bookcases, candles and other little nick-nacks that will all be interact-able with the player.
Oh and both these little projects are using SFML, instead of my homebrew engine. I got to say it's very nifty and fast to get up and running. Though lacks alot of the specialized things I had incorporated into my framework. Losing my hardrive, I lost all the new build of my framework and decided to put the refactoring on hold for now. It has given me some great ideas on how to overcome some of my shortcomings though. and saved me the probably 3 months of recoding to get it were I wanted it.
hope you enjoy, and all have a good week.