Please note that you will want to uninstall first! This version contains some major changes and I have not been able to get it to work properly without uninstalling first. The good news is that this should be the last installer you need to use for the game. I've completely rewritten the updater so that it can download and update all of the files necessary (including the updater.)
Here's a list of changes:
1) Added support for more than 4 dialogue topics
2) Added support for more than 8 inventory items
3) Altered save/load system so that, when saving a new game and an old game save exists with the same name, the old save is renamed and new one is created.
4) Added new inventory modes: static (the inventory does not move), sliding (the inventory slides off the bottom of the screen when the mouse exits it), and locking (the inventory pops up and down when it is clicked)
5) Rewrote the majority of the bar scene
6) Modified the updater so that it will run independently of the game and can update the engine and updater files
7) Altered the bar scene so that the cue-ball puzzle is already done on Normal difficulty.
8) Moved to the newest version of my code base.
There are other things, but I can't quite remember them all (I try to keep track by writing them down, but I lost my list.)
This will probably be the last release for the prologue until the art is done (unless a major issue/bug is found.) I am going to start on Chapter 1 tonight; I'll post updates about it as I go, but for the most part I am going to be switching the focus of the journal from The Mysterious Life of Aaron James to Project Grue.
As always, any and all feedback is welcome! Doesn't matter if you love it, hate it, or just think it's meh: please let me know what you think and why!
Anyway, I'm feeling super lucky right now. As I stated yesterday, I've been trying to find a way to handle content with doing the chapter release and I've found a solution. In the editor I store assets as basically a class containing: Name, FileName, FullFilePath, and Data. I store a list of each asset's Name and FileName in the project's file...or at least I meant to. Due to a typo or me (not paying attention), I'm actually storing the Name and FullFilePath.
The functionality I want is already kind of there; I copy the project to a new folder, change the output directory and viola: everything loads in fine and when I make a change to either, both projects receive it as they are both pointing to the same files. There are some issues (mainly dependent resources are loaded using local file names) and this is a major hack, but it gave me the idea for the new feature to add: references. Not a "new idea" by any means, but it will work perfectly. You will be able to add a reference to another project and all of the referenced project's assets will be added to the new project. When a referenced asset is opened, it will be opened using the FullFilePath and so both projects will be working from the same copy.
Now, lunch is over so back to work.