A few months back, we started work on a new project named Areum, a 2D top-down MMORPG in a medieval fantasy setting. We have been working hard on this game, and we are now able to show something.
Here are a few screenshots of the game. Please keep in mind that the game is using all placeholder artwork for the moment.
We practice continuous integration, and continuous deployment (to a staging site), meaning we are frequently releasing new versions of the game for testing. We have decided to give everyone access to the staging site (and thus every new version of the game) so that you guys can watch as the game progresses I plan on making a new development log entry for each release, so that you know when there is a new version to download, and what is new in it. I'm hoping this won't be considered spam; each new version will be different, and I'll do my best to make each log entry interesting!
So, here is the download link to the latest version of Areum:
Areum Pre-alpha v0.0.0.233
We will be developing the game in "phases". The first phase will focus mostly on engine features rather than content, so that there is something in place to build content ontop of. The next phase or two might also have a strong focus on engine features, but at this point it's too far out to say for certain, so we'll all find out together
Here is the progress chart for the current phase:
- [color=#00ff00]Smooth Scrolling and Tiles (Complete)[/color]
- [color=#00ff00]Online Multiplayer and Saving (Complete)[/color]
- [color=#00ff00]Animated Tiles (Complete)[/color]
- [color=#00ff00]2x Foreground Tile Layers (Complete)[/color]
- [color=#00ff00]Large Tile Placement (Complete)[/color]
- [color=#0000ff]Non-Player Characters (In Progress)[/color]
- [color=#ff0000]PvM and PvP Combat (Not Started)[/color]
- [color=#ff0000]Leveling System (Not Started)[/color]
- [color=#ff0000]Items (Not Started)[/color]
- [color=#ff0000]Music and Sound Effects (Not Started)[/color]
- [color=#ff0000]Chat System (Not Started)[/color]
- [color=#ff0000]Moderating Tools (Not Started)[/color]
As you can see, we are currently working on getting NPCs into the game. In the current demo, the characters that are just standing still (and can be walked through) are NPCs. I will be improving them as I work today.
We have an online chatroom where you can usually find myself and other developers, as well as other players: http://irc.ifthensoftware.net
We also have a Facebook page over at http://www.facebook.com/ifthensoftware
I have a Twitter account for development updates, which you can view here: http://twitter.com/ITS_Invisible
We also have an IndieDB page for Areum:
And finally, we have a devlog on TIGSource as well: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31227.0