A possible sticking point for me is trees. Well, vegetation in general. I've always had a hard-time with low-poly vegetation, which is why previously I would just use an L-system or other generator to generate high-poly vegetation, since I was just rendering it to sprites. Now, though, if I stick with this style I'll have to hone my barely-existent skills. I did a clump of practice trees, really quick ones, and they actually don't look horrible to me. A bit simplistic, perhaps, and I should probably have spent a bit more texture budget and added a lightmap with some ambient occlusion to help with the shading, but all in all it looks okay.
Most of what I did during my free time at work, though, was starting on some of the miscellaneous wiring required to hook this new setup to existing Goblinson Crusoe framework and systems. The swap should be fairly straightforward, but there is some work to be done.