The island generator was a simple drop-in with a bit of rewiring to instantiate the new hex tiles, but otherwise it went smoothly. GC looks pretty green, and I think he fits the overall look of the new system quite nicely.
I'm a lazy re-topologizer, so the low-poly mesh of GC is a tad sloppy, but since this view is actually a lot closer than what I suspect the game view will end up in the end, I don't think it really matters. I can either spend a lot of time getting the retopo perfect, or I can spend significantly less time getting the retopo acceptable.
The animation system in Urho3D is very easy to work with. Very nice. And unlike other engine's I've tried, it is simple to implement the paper-dolling that I (eventually) would like to add. I'm actually quite impressed with this little engine. I've found it to be significantly easier to work with than Ogre, and more fully-featured and flexible than Irrlicht. Mad props to AgentC for his efforts.
Edit: Here is a zoomed out shot that is closer to what I imagine the final view distance would be: