This week's Indie Spotlight is Don't Starve by Klei Entertainment. Don't Starve is a great survival adventure game with a focus on crafting and a procedurally generated world for the PC. You can find out more information on our spotlight page.
[color=#282828][font=arial]Our Facebook contest is still going on ([/font][/color]facebook.com/bealssoftware[color=#282828][font=arial]), we're getting close to a drawing. We have just 12 likes to go, so let your friends know to get in now for the best chance to win. You can find the rules in [/font][/color]this Facebook post[color=#282828][font=arial].[/font][/color]
I'm not sure what Mikeyo is talking about, I don't remember saying I was going to switch from MonoGame to SFML...
So, originally our plan was to use MonoGame in combination with Xamarin.Android to deploy to mobile and OUYA. However Xamarin has changed their licensing, so now to use it with Visual Studio will cost about $1000USD per developer per platform so...EFF THAT. This defeats the purpose of using MonoGame anyway, so that takes away points.
The issue in particular that broke the camel's back is issue #998, which appears to have been resolved, but there has been no mention of a stable release (I'm not a fan of building from source code as that has resulted in bad results in the past for me.) I'm not sure why, but for some reason it just appears randomly for me (and once it appears it won't go away until I restart my computer), so not really something I want to ship my game out with.
The major issue is the features missing from MonoGame - dynamic sound instances, proper support for Xbox 360 gamepad (actually an issue with the underlying library I believe), streaming audio and, most of all, the lack of issue resolution - they're far more interested in "getting it running" on different platforms and adding new features than fixing the issues in (https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/issues/894 has remained an issue for over a year.)
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what they've done with it so far, but I don't have the time to implement their features and track down their bugs so that I can work on my project and track down bugs in it. So the idea was to switch over to SFML...but that leaves us in the same position as I would have to implement all of the features that MonoGame offers. So, we're going to continue with MonoGame for now and if it becomes an issue we'll switch over to XNA for PC and probably SFML for Android.
Feature wise this has been a good week! I was able to get a simple status effect system in place, stat points and leveling in place (core, not UI.) More importantly I've started working on brains - the basic implementation for wandering is started and I've started implementing the symbols needed for more advanced abilities.
Bugwise it wasn't so good: I fixed angle-range detection which means you can only activate entities if you are facing and also allowed for line of site detection (or rather "facing" detection). However I found another - enemies are not clearing when changing from one map to another. I haven't had a chance to look at it, but it has me confused as enemies and other NPCs are all handled the same way.
That's it for this week; we'll be back with some more screenshots and videos and more next week. Thanks for stopping in and have a great week!